World We Dare to Imagine® - Blog Post 1

I truly do want to make a difference in the world. After reflecting extensively on my privilege and opportunities to advance in my studies/career, I want to give back to those who are not as fortunate as me. I plan to start small by making a difference close to my home territory in the Midwest and then branch out to the rest of the United States. As all humans are created equal, unfortunately not all are given the opportunities to succeed in this world. No one should have to live worrying about whether or not he or she will make it across town alive. No one should have to resort to carrying a gun out of fear that he or she will need to use it for personal protection. And no one should have to cut their life short due to a disagreement among another group of peers. I want to tackle the issue of gang activity and gang violence.

I plan to start in Chicago. It breaks my heart hearing that young men and women are losing their lives due to gang violence. I want to help change this by developing an organization that stresses the importance of graduating from high school and developing postsecondary plans. These plans may include going to college, seeking employment opportunities, going to trade school, volunteering, joining external development programs, or anything that can help these young adults avoid succumbing to gang involvement. I want to create a community of young adults that can depend on each other instead of depending on a gang. As I have been fortunate enough to attend college after high school, and have had the opportunity to grow up in higher socioeconomic status areas, it is important that I step out of my shoes and try and understand where these students are coming from.

I hope to start an organization that leads a 7-year mentorship program. At the beginning of sixth grade, middle schoolers will be paired one-on-one with a Chicago-native that will mentor students all the way up until they graduate from high school. This mentor will meet bi-weekly with students, only for a half an hour (either after school or on the weekends) to ensure progress towards graduation. Throughout the middle school years, the mentor will begin brainstorming with his or her assigned students on what the student may want to do after graduation. The mentor will also help out on homework assignments and always offer support to the student. At the beginning of the student's freshman year in high school, the mentor and mentee will create a "success plan" (name to be determined). This plan will map out what the student needs to accomplish in ninth through twelfth grade in order to reach the post-graduation plan that the mentee is aiming for. The mentor will have a variety of responsibilities, including encouraging his or her student to participate in extracurriculars (if offered at school), assist in scheduling for standardized testing if student decides to pursue college, teaching essential and applicable skills that students will need to enter the working world, and ultimately steering students clear of gang activity.

By creating a community of young adults who can recognize their full potential, and stressing that high-school graduation can open the door to so many opportunities, I hope my organization will convince students that they do not need to turn to a gang to make money or be successful. Rather, they can set a goal and see it become a reality through the organization's proper guidance. And they don't need to do it alone - they will have a mentor coaching them each step of the way, someone they can hopefully call a good friend.

Comments

  1. This sounds like a great idea! I've always appreciated charity in more of an educational capacity than a giving capacity. If you teach a man to fish, he will feed himself for a lifetime. I also think that to change social trends and behaviors, we have to impact people when they are young. You suggested 6th grade, which I think is a good age because that is when children start to become young adults and transform as individuals. One way you could start working towards your vision is to become a mentor yourself! It would be a small but significant step in trying to achieve this goal.
    -Diana Zhao

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea because it definitely applies to a lot of situations and is a large scale issue. I think starting the mentorship program at the beginning of sixth grade is a good age to begin. My piece of advice is to research what kinds of organizations already exist and are doing things like this (I'm sure there are many) and see what works well for them and what they struggle with. It could be beneficial to add what makes your mentorship program unique. Good job so far!

    -Ryan Baer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...helping people recognize their full potential and actualize their goals and providing a platform to enable this can change the situation and trajectory of anyones life! I also believe that by educating and providing skills to people we empower them to make better decision and change their perspective and inhibitions about themselves and what they are capable off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not very educated on the matter but I have heard from my various friends from Chicago that it is a problem. It seems to me that this violence is created from a lack of vision of opportunities for the youth that then cause them to engage in illegal activity that pushes them deeper into a vicious circle. I like the approach you are taking to empower the community through the importance of education. It ensures that there is someone that can be there during the important times in the students educational journey. Hopefully they have shelter and sufficient food in the least, that way they can focus on education. We definitely take our opportunities to get a great education for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment