Random Blog Post 1 - My Trip to Iceland

Last summer, I went to the most magical place I have ever been to. My mom and I have been told many times that we must go to Iceland for its beauty and loving people. It was a quick, two-day trip and we already have plans to go back during the winter months. My girlfriend also tagged along. We flew from Minneapolis to Reykjavík, taking only about six and a half hours. We also stayed in a beautiful hotel, called the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina (taking on the theme of an actual boat!). 


Image result for icelandair hotel reykjavik marina


Image result for icelandair hotel reykjavik marina


Given that we were there for only two days, we had a limited amount of time and had to pick our activities wisely. The first day we decided to go on the Golden Circle Tour. It is one of the more generic attractions, but I found it absolutely fascinating. We traveled to a national park, a natural geyser, and saw some breathtaking waterfalls. I truly felt connected with nature on this trip. Below is a video summarizing the tour and a picture of my girlfriend and me by a waterfall (same waterfall pictured at 1:36 in the video).

           



The second day, we went on an absolutely spectacular Game of Thrones tour. We are both huge fans so we couldn't miss this. We got to see where scenes from season 4 were filmed along with areas that are beyond The Wall where the Night's Watch resides (here is a more comprehensive list of areas where HBO filmed in Iceland: https://travelade.com/iceland/stories/game-of-thrones-locations-in-iceland/). Even my mother, who hasn't seen Game of Thrones, had a great time on the tour. Pictured below is Stöng í Þjórsádal, which in Game of Thrones is Olly's home village before the Wildlings invaded (season 4).  

Image result for Olly's village game of thronesOlly 



Here is a picture of my girlfriend and me being attacked by a village crow. 



Just kidding, it is only our tour guide, Raven.

Comments

  1. This is such a cool blog post!! I am obsessed with Game of Thrones, and I love how you actually got to see where the scenes were filmed. That is so sick. I've always wanted to go there.

    -KT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I went to Iceland in March and did literally the same thing as you. Also drove around the Golden Circle and went on the Game of Thrones tour as well. I don't remember what the tour guide's name was but he used to be an extra on GOT and I have a similar picture of me getting attacked by him. I agree definitely want to go back Iceland is unreal.
    -Diana Zhao

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go to Iceland, it's my dream! My idea is to rent a car and travel along the "Ring Road". It must be one of the most astonishing places on Earth. In case I decide to go in the near future, can I contact you for travel tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course I'd be more than happy to help!! aunan@usc.edu

      Delete
  4. I really want to go and visit all of the sets where they filmed Game of Thrones!! Can't wait for the last season!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friends booked flights to Iceland during an airline's flash sale last year and only paid like $50. They had a great time and I've wanted to go ever since. Looks really cool!

    -Brendan Graniez

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Iceland with my family many years ago. Glad I have someone else in the class who has been there as well! Love the pictures.

    -Ryan Baer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im so happy I clicked on your blog because, coincidentally, I also went to Iceland with my family last summer! Like you, I only stayed for a few days as a "pit stop" before going abroad in London, but I had an amazing time. Although I didn't go on the Game of Thrones tour, I also saw many beautiful waterfalls and went to the blue lagoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool read, wish you had more than just two days in Iceland. I am amazed at how green the hills where!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really cool how you went to see a Game of Thrones setting. My cousins also visited Iceland, but mainly to take photos as they are photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a huge Game of Thrones fan as well! I cannot wait until the next season comes out and it is driving me crazy. Thus I am also interested in seeing the places where the show was recorded. This summer I was in Seville (Spain), the place where all the scenes of Dorne were shot.

    -Patrick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment